The acronym for STEM is Science, technology, engineering and mathematics. A huge list of subjects falls into the STEM group. STEM degrees are very popular and pursued by most students. There is an importance of education related to STEM. STEM degrees are available through both traditional degree university and online university. If you are someone wants to know about the STEM education and its importance, then you have come to the right place to look for the relevant information. This article will take a look at STEM education and its importance.
A look at STEM education and its importance:
- STEM degrees are very popular because of the wide career path they offer to the students who decides to pursue STEM degrees. In fact, careers that are related to the STEM field are the fastest growing and also they are best paid in the 21st Another reason for its popularity is that STEM subjects play a very important role in the multiple levels in our society and also our daily lives and it is obvious that these STEM subjects have a great deal of impact. If we take a look at various industries, we will how much STEM subjects have influence in them. If we take an example of the urban development, architecture and city planning relies heavily on mathematics, while medical science, which is too relies heavily on STEM disciplines such as biology, chemistry, biophysics etc. Also if we take a look at environment efforts such as sustainable energy, renewable energy and nuclear power also relies heavily on the sciences. Currently there is a huge shortage in the field of STEM.
- Stem job usually requires one to have at least a bachelor’s degree or an associate’s degree. This requirement varies from one job to another. Many STEM job will also require one to have bachelor’s degree or higher level degrees such as master’s degree or PhD.
- To increase more graduates of STEM to fulfill the shortage of STEM related jobs, a lot of initiatives are being taken by many countries. Many countries are blending in STEM subjects and their importance to young students at school and encouraging them to take up the STEM subjects and enhancing their math and science skills and knowledge.
- For elementary schools- Introductory level of basic STEM subjects are being introduced. To allow the children to understand and increase their awareness for the STEM occupations and fields, these basic steps provides these young learners with real life problems and inquiry based learning and these steps effectively connect all the four disciplines of STEM. Young learners are taught these basic STEM courses effectively and to make STEM more interesting to them- there’s been an emphasis on putting in school and after school learning opportunities for STEM.
- Middle school- in the middle school- the STEM courses become quite challenging and also rigorous in nature than the elementary level. The awareness of the STEM fields and its related job is still being created, along with various requirements of academic nature of these fields for the middle school children.
- High School- here in High school, the courses get more challenging than that of middle school and also the intensity and rigorous courses of the STEM subjects are introduced. A lot of STEM courses and pathways are available to the students. The preparations for the STEM post secondary education and also employments starts for the students. Along with these, in school and after school STEM opportunities are available to the students.
- The STEM curriculum is being designed so that it becomes an interesting option for the females and also the underrepresented populations. Historically, STEM related fields have had less participation from the underrepresented population and also from the females. Females are also less likely to pursue STEM related subjects in college.
One can search educational websites such as SearchAllIndia® for more information on STEM.
What are some STEM majors in college?
This section will show some of the STEM majors that are popular amongst students in college:
- Information technology- This College major can prepare the students for a wide range of careers. Students can pursue careers in information security, network architecture etc. The typical entry level degree is bachelor’s degree, while some higher position job may require master’s degree.
- Computer systems networking and telecommunications- This College major is also popular amongst students as well. This major has ranked third place for the employment opportunity amongst the other majors that are pursued by the students. The typical entry level degree to have a career in the field related to computer systems networking and telecommunications is: associate’s degree.
- Engineering- This College major is quite hard with tough curriculum but it allows the students to have a versatile career. There are many branches of engineering such as mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, chemical engineering etc. Typical entry level degree is: bachelor’s degree to PhD degree for some research careers related to engineering.